Total Pageviews

Thursday 2 December 2010

The Latest Shoot

Riiight okay. Thursdays shoot was interesting. Not quite the results I wanted BUT I still got some photos I'm really impressed with and will show you towards the end of this shoot. To be fair it was nice actually working with models who were more than willing to give their own feedback and had a good idea on what they wanted themselves. The idea I had for taking a photo with Christmas lights in the background didn't exactly work. Okay. I admit it. I did sort of just rush straight into it without doing any research on how to do it first. Looking back after finishing the shoot (and being really confused and baffled as to why the lighting effect didn't work) I realized that what I should have done is set the shutter speed to roughly 4 seconds, use the flash to initially light up the subject and then just get her to stand really still while the lights in the background got brighter and brighter. You live and learn.

Here's my favorite shots from the shoot.

















Okay with regards to the above photo the effect I wanted did work, but unfortunately the original photo was so dark, a lot of the detail was lost when I lit up the model, so I think I'll just be putting this one down to experience.














As you can see with the photos above most of them were just trial and error. I know it's a rubbish excuse but it was the first time I've had a proper studio shoot. I need to invest in a proper background as that one was too small for what we had intended to do. So all in all for a first go with models, costume changes and a studio set up I didn't think I did too bad but I'll let you be the judges on that one.

On to the next subject. I've been downloading a lot of video podcasts lately and one that has really taken my eye and one I've been really keen to watch is the one by The Art Of Photography. It has made me learn that you don't have to spend thousands starting off a studio. He explains more than once that studio lighting is the only part of photography that can be done very inexpensively and you can get a complete set up by only spending as much as £100 depending on where you buy. It is something I highly recommend you watch because he doesn't just cover studios. He covers everything from using a light meter. Sync speeds all the way to framing and framing on a budget. Surely has taught me a thing or two.

Anyway I'll let you get back to what you were doing.

Thanks for looking.

Andrew.

Location:Gellilydan, Gwynedd.

2 comments:

  1. really like the images well done we should meet up and see if we can bounce ideas off of each other and a shoot aswell :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely! It was something I was thinking of asking to be honest. The dark haired model, Einir, wants to build her portfolio up so was gonna ask if you fancy helping her out as well. Ive come to an agreement with her that I'll take her photos for her as long as she lets me use the photo's for my portfolio so its a win win situation really. The only problem is she's 17 and 3/4s lol so might have to get her sign a parental consent form lol

    ReplyDelete